Artists and Art Materials Study 2012
Artists & Art Materials 2012
- Market Summary (Released Oct. 2012)
Key Findings Presentation (Released May 2012)
- Artist Survey Results
- Retailer Survey Results
- Retailer Business Best Practices (Released Aug. 22)
- Marketing 101: Eight Insights from Artists & Retailers (Released Sept. 5)
- Product Trends: Usage and Growth Data from Artists & Retailers (Released Sept. 19)
- Retailer Financial Benchmarks – How is Your Store Doing? (Released Oct. 3)
- Customer Feedback for Retailers – Ratings of Brick-and-Mortar and Online Stores (Released Oct. 17)
- Comparison of Customers by Retail Channel – Storefronts, Online and Crafts Chains (Released Oct. 31)
- Meet Your Customers – Profiles of Student, Professional, and Recreational Artists (Released Nov. 14)
- Artist Learning and Classes – Where They Learn & What They Spend (Released Nov. 28)
- Retailer Feedback for Suppliers – Inventory, Ordering, Costs, Payments, Marketing (Released Dec. 12)
- Help Retailers Introduce New Products – Widening the New Product Pipeline (Released Dec. 26)
This study provides the results of spring 2012 online surveys of more than 3,600 active artists and 126 specialty art materials retailers in the USA and Canada. The focus of the study is active artists, typically those who have created 10 or more artworks in the past year, including paintings, drawings, mixed media, 3-D art, and digital art.
This study was produced by Hart Business Research, a leader in creative industries research. NAMTA and Hart wish to thank the 2012 study sponsors: Golden Artist Colors, Logan Graphic Products, MacPherson’s, Strathmore, and Walter Foster.
Market Summary (Oct 2012)
Gain an overview of your industry: market size, number of participants, growth trends, and trends in the artist market.
Key Findings Presentation (May 2012)
Read key findings about artist purchase decision making, price/quality tradeoffs, learning sources, Canadian artists, art students, product growth trends, retailer marketing best practices, and how suppliers can help retailers.
Artist Survey Results (June 2012, members $99, non-members $400)
Make use of the full results of the 32-question artist survey. Review responses segmented by professionals, students, recreational artists, Canadian artists, and U.S. artists. Get the details about what they are creating, why, selling it, learning sources, materials used, purchase decisionmaking, spending patterns, store feedback, and demographics. Non-members can obtain a copy of this product by contacting NAMTA at 704-892-6244.
Retailer Survey Results (July 2012, free for members, non-members $400)
Understand what 111 USA specialty art materials retailers had to say about core financial metrics, growth trends, product trends, marketing and business best practices, challenges, and feedback for suppliers. Gain a view of Canadian versus USA retailer differences. Non-members can obtain a copy of this product by contacting NAMTA at 704-892-6244.
Business Tools (members-only)
Got a business decision to make? Use these tools to make your business more productive and profitable. Tools will include retailer financial benchmarks, retailer marketing advisor, online retailer areas for improvement, product growth trends, and product development insights.