Artists and Art Materials Study 2012
This study provides the results of spring 2012 online surveys of more than 3,600 active artists and 126 specialty art materials retailers in the USA and Canada. The focus of the study is active artists, typically those who have created 10 or more artworks in the past year, including paintings, drawings, mixed media, 3-D art, and digital art.
This study was produced by Hart Business Research, a leader in creative industries research. NAMTA and Hart wish to thank the 2012 study sponsors: Golden Artist Colors, Logan Graphic Products, MacPherson’s, Strathmore, and Walter Foster.
* This study is a NAMTA member benefit. Contact NAMTA for non-member pricing and access.
Gain an overview of your industry: market size, number of participants, growth trends, and trends in the artist market.
Key Findings Presentation (FREE)
Read key findings about artist purchase decision making, price/quality tradeoffs, learning sources, Canadian artists, art students, product growth trends, retailer marketing best practices, and how suppliers can help retailers.
Artist Survey Results
Make use of the full results of the 32-question artist survey. Review responses segmented by professionals, students, recreational artists, Canadian artists, and U.S. artists. Get the details about what they are creating, why, selling it, learning sources, materials used, purchase decisionmaking, spending patterns, store feedback, and demographics.
Retailer Survey Results
Understand what 111 USA specialty art materials retailers had to say about core financial metrics, growth trends, product trends, marketing and business best practices, challenges, and feedback for suppliers. Gain a view of Canadian versus USA retailer differences.
Study Business Tools
Have a business decision to make? Use these tools to make your business more productive and profitable. Tools will include retailer financial benchmarks, retailer marketing advisor, online retailer areas for improvement, product growth trends, and product development insights.
- Retailer Business Best Practices
- Marketing 101: Eight Insights from Artists & Retailers
- Product Trends: Usage and Growth Data from Artists & Retailers
- Retailer Financial Benchmarks – How is Your Store Doing?
- Customer Feedback for Retailers – Ratings of Brick-and-Mortar and Online Stores
- Comparison of Customers by Retail Channel – Storefronts, Online and Crafts Chains
- Meet Your Customers – Profiles of Student, Professional, and Recreational Artists
- Artist Learning and Classes – Where They Learn & What They Spend
- Retailer Feedback for Suppliers – Inventory, Ordering, Costs, Payments, Marketing
- Help Retailers Introduce New Products – Widening the New Product Pipeline
2009 Supplier Data
Looking for information about art materials suppliers? Please consult the 2009 Artists and Art Materials Study, which included a survey of suppliers.