- New Products
- Art Advocacy
- Art Materials World 2018
- About Us
- Contact Us
Art Materials Business Owner
by Tom Shay
1. The individual enjoys what they are doing. You can see it in their faces when they walk into their businesses. There is a pleasant smile for each customer and staff member. There is a sincere word spoken to each. They are always looking for information and ideas that will give them a competitive edge in their marketplace.
2. They know their first job is to manage the business. While they may be the best salespeople or technicians within their businesses, they understand the numbers necessary for financial management. They have plans for the future and they know what they want to do and are not allowing conditions to dictate to them. Almost everyone works at the business. Successful owners or managers know when to work in the business and when to work on the business. When they are working on the business, they are doing the job that no one else in the business can do.
3. They are active in their community and their industry trade associations. They will tell you about the benefits - new ideas, new business, new connections - they have received as a result of their participation. This interaction brings a boost to their spirits.
4. They attend industry trade shows and seminars. They know the progressive competitor is going to be there, and the complacent competitor will be staying home. They know that the trade show is where they write orders, look for niche-market opportunities, and get a feel for where the industry is headed and how fast it is getting there.
5. They deal with branding and marketing. Our owners or managers have a clearly defined, written and posted statement that explains what their business is attempting to do in the marketplace. Their marketing is the result of their constantly doing small experiments in unique ways of promoting. The position marketing and promotion is always being updated to reflect the changes in their community and to appeal to their customers.
We’ll cover the final five “Success Traits” in our next article.
Tom Shay is a fourth generation small business owner, author, columnist, coach and speaker who has authored several training manuals for retailers that can be found in the Resources section of the NAMTA website – namta.org. His knowledge of small business marketing, business strategy, staffing, and financial management have provided small business owners with the help necessary to increase their profits plus build their business for the future. You can learn more here - www.profitsplus.org.
Online Registration open through February 17th
The 2017 Art Materials World App
Retail Operations Manuals
Have you see these 3 Manuals for Art Supply Retailers?
Volume 4 - Writing a Business Plan
Retail Operations Training Manuals are FREE for NAMTA members. You must be logged in to access manuals. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help logging in.
Advocating for the Arts
While you are at Art Materials World 2017, be sure to stop by the NAMTA Booth #453 and talk to Leah Siffringer about NAMTA's Art Advocacy Program.
Fact of the Week # 116
Connect with your Peers with the Online Directory
Wondering who else is a NAMTA member? Looking for an email address? Search for NAMTA Members using the Online Membership Directory.
Last year, Golden Artist Colors became part of a partnership where they offered a professional painting instruction course for art teachers, focusing on helping teachers explore a range of painting media and techniques to reinforce or establish their individual voices. A Master Teacher Program was presented at the Golden Artist Color facility, and it was called a “great success” by Mark Golden, CEO and Founder of Golden Artist Colors. Read full article.
Bob Ross has been nominated for a Shorty Award. a highly acclaimed recognition of the best content across the social media landscape. If you'd like to help Bob Ross Win a Shorty, click here.
The NAMTA staff regularly scours the web for articles and stories that may be of interest to our members . . .
Be the next Member Profile In the Spotlight